Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Milestones...




Again, way too long since I've written anything on this site. As I mentioned in a previous post, Riley turned 5 in May! I can't believe how big she has gotten compared to the sweet 1 year old I remember! Today is her pre-school graduation. I'm sure there will be tears shed by all. There's something about the transition of kindergarten that makes a lot of parents nervous, including myself. Maybe its the fact that your children are in the care and guidance of someone you don't know for part of the day, maybe its that you hope that you've taught your children well, maybe its that you just hope they cling to what you've taught and remember. I think its all of the above and so much more. Regardless, my 5 year old is ready and it's more that her mother has a hard time letting go and wishing we had more time to spend one on one.


On another note, it is starting to get HOT here! Yes, Connecticut does get pretty steamy over the summers. We are going to be away this weekend and the forecast is that on Sunday we'll see the 90 degree mark! Yikes! I wish we had central air now! Time to put in all the window units when we return home.


With summer also comes more work for Bryan. He helps manage the "summers" program at work. This is a program where about 5-6 law students experience working for the firm for a summer. I laugh a little about this because as with any job, the "best" is shown, never the worst. There is a lot of wining and dining. There is a boat cruise this week, the summers go to London for a bit. Sounds really rough, doesn't it? Where are the late nights? The squabbles over offices? The bitter feedback from a partner? Not to be found in the summer program I'm afraid.


This pregnancy has been good to me so far. I'm about 27 weeks now and feeling a lot of kicks. I'm not looking forward to the hot summer, but will continue drinking very large amounts of water to stay hydrated. I asked the doctor that I saw at my most recent appointment about a scheduled induction, since that's what happens anyway for me. She wouldn't even speak of it with me. I think I'll have to pick and choose who to ask in my visits. I will find the weakest link. It makes it that much easier to plan with other children!


There are always about 10 other things happening at our house too. This week, Riley became absurdly hysterical at the doctor's office when told she'd have to be given a shot (this has never happened before) and the kids and I all left in tears by the end of it, a mysterious animal has been robbing our "chipper-dipper" of the profits, we've planted a container garden, we're slowly being eaten by mosquitoes, Bob goes to the vet today-always a fun and expensive trip, playdates, a second round of swim classes, Beth Moore preparations, etc, etc. Please let us know what you're up to this summer (and how to distract a 5 year old from getting a shot as I think she needs one more before kindergarten!).

No comments: